THE FLAVOR IDEAS SERIES

The Flavor Ideas Series by Eliza Ellis


WELL TODAY'S POST IS A LITTLE BIT SPECIAL, AS THIS IS THE LAUNCH OF MY NEW FLAVOR IDEAS SERIES.
 
I've been working on this for months now, and so far I've had a great response from those who know about it - and I just know you guys are going to love it too!

You might have noticed that lately I've been putting a few more recipes on the blog, and that they all kind of look the same with pretty writing, and little stickers in the corners?

Well, I've been testing.

Testing and re-designing, and testing some more, to put together a series of meal ideas that are useful, quick, flexible and easy.

So what's it all about? Ok.


The Flavor Ideas Series by Eliza Ellis

 
MOST OF US GIRLS ARE PRETTY GOOD COOKS ALREADY ...
 
Most of us have been cooking for years now, and are pretty good at putting an affordable, nutritious meal on the table that our families will actually eat.

We can easily whip up a stirfry, risotto or pasta. We can do roasts and bakes, we can de-glaze, steam, saute and fry. We can easily judge by eye how many roast potatoes or steamed carrots we need, and we know the quirks of our ovens and stovetops.

Most of us don't use a recipe unless we're baking, and we know how to modify dishes around what we've got on hand and who we're cooking for.

To be succinct - most of us are pretty good, practical cooks - we know what we're doing.


The Flavor Ideas Series by Eliza Ellis


... BUT WE CAN GET IN A BIT OF A RUT ... 
 
Cooking something different and creative every day can be hard work. Sometimes we all get bored. I mean, if I have to cook (or they have to eat!) mashed potatoes one more time this week, it's going to end in tears :)

For years now, I've been writing out 'flavor ideas' instead of recipes - notes on flavor combinations and simple ways to add pizazz to things I already cook. In fact it's pretty rare that I'll write down and keep a recipe these days.


The Flavor Ideas Series by Eliza Ellis
 
... AND WE DON'T NEED NEW RECIPES ...
 
I've got dozens of cookbooks - Julia and Nigella, Jamie, Maggie, Donna and Stephanie, Nigel and Hugh - and I bet you've got heaps too.

But most of the time, when I'm looking at them or Pinterest, I'm not looking for new recipes, I'm just looking for inspiration.

I don't need a new way to cook a risotto - just a different type of risotto... with different flavors... different ingredients...


The Flavor Ideas Series by Eliza Ellis

... WE JUST NEED SOME NEW IDEAS.

And that's what my Flavor Ideas Series is all about. New tastes and ideas for everyday cooking, but using the basic recipes you already know.

Take my Simple Gremolata (below) - instead of parsley, garlic and lemon zest, you could use:

~ Coriander, garlic and a little chilli, which would be amazing with curries.

~ Or mint, mandarine zest and just a little ginger for rich, slow roasted lamb.

~ Or just a big handful of mixed herbs like parsley, thyme, oregano and chives finely chopped with garlic and orange zest.


The Flavor Ideas Series by Eliza Ellis

SO MY NEW FLAVOR IDEAS SERIES IS ALL ABOUT FLAVOR INSPIRATION. 

I'll still be posting some basic recipe tutorials like I have been, but I'll be doing lots of inspiring flavor variations too!

And unless it's critical to the recipe's success, I've only used general quantities - like a pinch, a sprinkle, a little or a lot - because this is how I cook. And it also makes things more flexible - you can adjust things to what you have on hand and your family's tastes.

I hope you enjoy my Flavor Ideas Series, and I hope it gives you lots of inspiration as you cook for your family each day!

And don't forget to follow me on you favorite social media platform so you don't miss any! (Just click those big blue buttons up the top of the sidebar :)

TO KICK OFF THIS SERIES, I'VE DONE UP SOME GORGEOUS HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOW IDEAS FOR YOU TO CHECK OUT HERE.

All the best,

Eliza.


CONVERSATION